My association with paper making has been very intermittent, but also very exciting. I was most fortunate to attend workshops with Jill Ellis and the late Marie Waterhouse a few years ago, and absolutely love the process of making paper.
I attended the truly inspiring International IAPMA convention in Burnie, Tasmania and continue to be fascinated by the many properties of handmade paper, which I get to see regularly through the works of Primrose Paper makers.
During more recent times I find myself using my rapidly dwindling stash of handmade papers as collage elements in some of my art works. Whilst I continue to be Artist in Residence at Primrose Park, I am dedicating my time to exploring and enriching my painting experience.
When I make an artwork, I intuitively respond to the world around me and to my internal, emotional journey.
My pieces often have many layers and personal symbols. Art making is a mysterious process.
When I begin an artwork I do not have an agenda, a plan and therefore absolutely no knowledge of the outcome, trusting where my creative process will take me. I make material choices and my palette can be rich and vibrant or very limited.
My achievements include:
- North Sydney Art Prize, The Fischer Ghost Art Prize, Hunter’s Hill Art Prize
- Participation in group art events:
- Mosman Gallery Friends, Cambelltown Arts Centre Friends, Royal Easter Show, North Sydney Council “Sense of Place” exhibition and inTransit exhibition “Re use”, Primrose Art Residency artists Exhibition “Parked”
- 2017 Solo exhibition “Landscape Conversations”
- 2016 & 2017 Artist in Residence:
- Primrose Park Artist Studios
In 2013 I committed to a serious art practice and these days my art making is a very intimate, passionate, serious part of my life.
In addition, my daughter Julia and I teach art to children, during school holidays, through Art Box Workshops.
I make art because I absolutely have to – and I value my membership with Primrose Paper makers.
Images provided by the artist. All artworks contain collaged handmade paper.